The first HDMI cable was launched in 2002. It is becoming more efficient with the new version every time and in audio, video, and other data transmission and interpreting capabilities. Till now, it has launched 2 versions, HDMI version 1 and HDMI version 2. Let’s study each of them.
HDMI Version 1
As the name indicates, it is the first-ever HDMI cable that has been launched in 2002. The basic idea about this invention was to send/ receive signals using the DVI concept, but it required a 100-500ms time lapse in between the two signals.
- High Definition audio & video interface with 8 channels.
- The maximum Data Transfer Capacity is 4.95 Gbps.
It can support 165MHz and allows 1080p at 60HZ.
1. HDMI 1.1
HDMI 1.1 was released in 2004, 2 years later than the first release. The 1.1 version has more power for DVD audio & video interface.
- Addedsupport to the exiting high-quality audio & video
- Mechanical & electrical changes in the cables have been made.
2. HDMI 1.2
The launching of HDMI 1.2 in 2005 was a revolutionary change in the media industry. For DVD players, the problem of a single cable has been solved with the introduction of 1.2 cables. Secondly, the use of HDMI other than TV has also got into the air.
- Introduction of Type A conductors for Computer-based applications.
- It can also support low-voltage appliances
- Streaming of digital audio content on CD, DSD, and SACD supporting 8 channels.
4. HDMI 1.3
The HDMI 1.3 was introduced to the market on 22nd June 2006 with the newest features. Many industries didn’t keep an eye on the latest update rather than Information Technology (IT).
- Introduction of type C miniature connectors for portable devices.
- The maximum working frequency is 350MHz & the data transfer rate is 10.2 Gbps.
- Addition of Cable Equaliser to recapture the high-frequency signals lost by copper cables.
- The color resolution increased to 10 bit, 12 bit, or 16 bit per channel & this provided a deep color facility.
6. HDMI 1.4
This version was released on 28th May 2009 and is probably the best & affordable version used until now. Possibly, it has gained more popularity than any other modification of HDMI cables.
- Bring in micro HDMMI connectors for portable devices.
- New cables & connectors for automotive devices.
- The HDMI 1.4 can do 120HZ at 1080p, but it can support high-speed hdmi cable 4k. It can also support 3D format audios & videos.
- Addition of HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC) to access 100Mbit/s ethernet connection.
- HDMI Version 2
1. HDMI 2.0
The version was introduced in 2013, focusing both on High Definition (HD) & UHD (Ultra High Definition), and that’s why it is also referred to as HDMI UHD.
The maximum data transfer rate is 18GBbps.
The UHD resolution power is 4k for 50 or 60 Hz.
Audio transmissions up to 32 channels.
Multi-stream audio capacity but limited to 4 users.
2. HDMI 2.1
The hdmi 2.1 cable is launched in 2017, resolution & frequency rates have notoriously increased from 2.0 to 2.1
- 10k resolution at 120HZ.
- A new HDMI cable called 48G to carry signals at higher rates.
- Specify HDR metadata.
Other versions are also available, 1.2a, 1.3a, 1.4a &b, 2.0a & b, but they have very little modifications.
In the future, we can see more efficient & advanced versions of HDMI cables, and hopefully, in the future, more devices will be incorporated with these cables. In Ibra Online, you can get almost every type of HDMI cables.